Sunday, September 7, 2008

Blessed

Yet another week without any writing I'm at all comfortable sharing. Yikes. I hope the semester settles down some. So, instead I'm going to share an epiphany I experienced this week.

On Thursday evenings I'm enrolled in Qualitative Research Methods I. Can I just say ick? This past Thursday was a revelation in how little I know and how little I processed the reading assignment. I thought I had a firm understanding of feminism and critical race theory, but the prof and some other students proved me oh, so wrong (picture me frowning, thinking "what the heck did she just say...did she even speak English?").

Anyway, the professor said that each week two or so of us would share bits about our lives, as who we are and our belief systems we bring to our research will often color what we find. He began by sharing a bit about himself. Wow. First of all, he grew up in a Soviet block nation during the height of the cold war. His college was so poor that each class had two books: one for the professor, one for all the students to share. They had one tv channel that broadcast for 5-6 hours a day. They couldn't speak out at all about the government, even in their own homes, or they'd be put in prison or worse.

The longer he talked and shared how he came to the US and the conditions he grew up in, the more I realized how damn lucky I am. Yes, I have student loans that only my death will repay in full. Yes, I'm concerned about gas prices rising and the cost of health care. But...I have all the materials and more that I need to complete my coursework. I'm reasonably healthy and can afford and have access to health programs, like the yoga class I've been trying to sign up for all weekend. I am soooooo blessed. While my father is dead (5 years this coming Saturday), my mother is only 4 hours away by car and immediately accessible by telephone...as are my sisters I grew up with. I am so fortunate...it's pitiful that I needed the reminder.

Have a great week. I'll be enjoying the cooler temperatures.

No comments: