Sunday, April 20, 2008

Spring!

T.S. Eliot began his famous poem The Waste Land with "April is the cruelest month." When I taught high school, I agreed whole-heartedly as April also played host to the MAP test (Missouri's standardized test--ick). Plus, most Americans dread April because the 15th is tax day (double ick).

Today, however, the sun is shining. It's 75 degrees. I can hear cardinals calling to one another and wrens chirping right along. Even the geese with their intrusive honking don't bother me. How can anyone be uptight or glum or anything bad when a day this beautiful rolls along.

So, though I tried to take my laptop out on the patio to write a little ditty for you today. Apollo on his golden chariot was just too dang bright, making my computer screen look like a vast black hole. My friendly spider, who is still wan from winter's pale days, and I pulled out a book and read in the sun. Ah, spring!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Dr. Renard just said that to me the other day when I told him I was a bit overwhelmed with papers and such, "Well, you know what T.S. Eliot said about April ..." I didn't. Now I do, thanks to him and to you. Hang in there. We will survive. May is Thursday -- Hurray!

Unknown said...

Hurray! It's May Day! Good buy cruel month of April ...

RDierking said...

Yes, I am sooooo glad to see May. :)