Monday, February 11, 2008

Little Pig

Thursday we celebrated the Chinese New Year in one of my classes (I'm a PhD student, so I'll probably refer to my classes often). Part of the warm up activity was writing about our "year"--the year in which we were born according to the Chinese zodiac. I thought this an auspicious way to begin my blogging life.

While I think the characteristics of my Chinese year suit me--noble, chivalrous--I very much dislike being a boar. It makes my insecurity rise because of its homonym, bore. Nobody wants to be thought uninteresting. But...

I do think some of the boar traits are ones I have. Pigs are relatively intelligent creatures, known for their adaptive techniques to protect their sensitive skin (i.e. wallowing in the mud--see related website: http://www.ag.ohio-state.edu/~twig/animals/html/021896.html). Boars--especially those in the wild--are fierce protectors, charging a perceived enemy and ripping its hide with their strong tusks. A recent blog post on the Daily Mammal (found at: http://dailymammal.blogspot.com/2008/01/north-carolina-week-european-wild-boar.html) said that boars are much more dangerous than mountain lions or other predators because of the ripping action.

So, I guess I should be proud to admit I'm a boar. I'm tough and smart, adaptive and tasty. I admit it: I'm a boar. I'm a boar!

3 comments:

Janet said...

Glad to see your research skills are still active...learning the background of the word "boar" can be very exciting reading.

Take care!

Unknown said...

I was born in 1965. I wonder what animal was that year? I'm glad you have a blog and look forward to reading it more.

Your writing group hasn't been writing either. There isn't enough time. Love Ya, Tina

Yang Guo said...

Hehe, it's very interesting that for Chinese people, as a Zodiac, little pig is always depicted as lovely animal, not cruel, not dangerous. What's more, good lucks will always accompany "little pigs" :) That's why people would love to get married and have babies in the year of Pig:)